5 Reasons You'll Love Owning A Home
Most of us have started out as renters before we were able to purchase a home. And maybe some of us have continued renting because you’ve gotten used to apartment living, you don’t want to pack up your stuff or maybe you just haven’t considered the many advantages of home ownership. Whatever your reason, it might be time to reconsider. (You’ve heard about those super low mortgage rates, right?)
Here are our five top reasons why owning a home is so much better than renting an apartment:
1. In the Long Run, Owning a Home Makes Good Financial Sense:
- Homes typically tend to appreciate, especially when located in popular areas. According to the Houston Association of Realtors, from the start of 2019 to the beginning of 2020, the average price of a home in Houston rose 2.3 percent. The average home price in the Houston area has risen 50 percent in the last 10 years.
- A portion of every mortgage payment goes toward principal. This home equity creates a nice nest egg for the future.
- Interest and property taxes are tax deductible, as are some closing costs.
2. You No Longer Feel Like You’re Living in a Dorm
Owning your own home means you don’t have to listen to your neighbor’s music or TV show. Conversely, you can listen to your own stereo or watch television whenever you want without any worries you’re keeping others awake. No more loud footsteps overhead. No more hearing the door slam as neighbors go in and out. No more feeling like someone is always listening. To quote Depeche Mode, “Enjoy the Silence” – and the privacy.
3. More Room For Visitors and For You
Homes are typically larger than the average apartment and are at least three bedrooms. What does this mean? You can host overnight guests easily. You can set up your own exercise room or dedicate space for a home office. Love crafting? Set up storage units for all of your supplies and an art table. And when the time is right to start (or grow) your family, you’ll have the space.
4. Your Dog Really, Really Wants a Yard
Sure, you can have a pet in an apartment (usually), but it’s not always easy — especially if your pet is a dog. Imagine how easy it would be to simply open the back door and let Rover outside. No more walks in the rain, cold or extreme heat. And when it’s time to play, just grab a ball and go outside with him. The backyard is so much closer than the dog park!
5. Living in a Wow-Factor Community
Another advantage of owning your own home is the chance to live in a have-it-all community. You’ll find dozens of parks and playgrounds, miles and miles of trails, water parks, fitness centers and a roster of concerts, festivals, Bunco groups and other activities that make you feel right at home. Start your march to homeownership by seeing what’s available now.